SSTESOL Outstanding Educator Award
Purpose: To honor active TESOL/Bilingual Education professionals considered outstanding by their colleagues.
Who’s Eligible: Professional educators, administrators, or support staff with at least 5 years of experience in the field of ESOL in Florida. The nominee must be a member of Sunshine State TESOL. (If you are not a current member, you can get your membership here.)
Award: $500.00 USD each to (1) K-12 & (1) higher education professional
Nomination Process: A one page letter of nomination must be submitted which includes a description of the accomplishments of the nominee and highlights of the achievements of the nominee. The letter of nomination should exemplify the qualities of the ESOL professional who will be recognized for excellence. Additional information should be included to provide evidence of the criteria listed below:
- Ability to motivate and inspire students as well as other professionals in the field,
- A talent for engaging others in learning,
- Exceptional professional service outside the classroom,
- Involvement with professional colleagues/organizations, and
- Continuing professional development.
Recommendation Letter: One additional letter of recommendation (one page maximum) will be submitted, providing information relevant to the factors above.
Supporting documentation: The nominee will send a vita or resume and a written statement (500 words max) focusing on:
- Reasons for becoming an ESOL professional
- Professional philosophy
- Plans for further education and other creative endeavors, or activities that will enhance your role in the field of language education